It’s not every day that you get the chance to support a new generation of young green leaders who are taking matters into their own hands and developing sustainable solutions now. Green School students are taking action – from school BioBuses that run on used cooking oil, to waste solutions, growing food and establishing renewable energy solutions, they are on it! Local Balinese and children from all corners of the globe have come together at Green School and they are mobilized and ready for more action, to create a better world for themselves and future generations. It’s up to us to give them the chance.
We can help you make a difference in the world. Join us in raising $500,000 to fund Green School scholarships for Balinese children and to build a multi-purpose Community Innovation Hub that will deliver better waste management solutions and scale up youth activism activities locally and globally. This is the Green School Change Maker Challenge!
Green School Bali was invited by the Earth Day Committee to join their group Roadmap Climate Challenge fundraising campaign – building a community of doers to take action. Taking action is in our DNA at Green School and we feel privileged to join other organisations in this friendly challenge.
The Earth Day Committee is offering a $100,000 grant as prize money to the organisation that raises the most money. We are feeling nervous but hopeful as the crowd rises and supports us to achieve our goal of building a Community Innovation Hub and funding more local Balinese children to join Green School through our Local Scholarship Program. Our generous donors have helped us get to over $120,000, so far.
Green School is a registered not-for-profit and we know we are aiming high and hopeful. We have a lot to do, and in partnership with you, we can do it. We are talking about serious, grassroots action, with seriously impressive impacts. Take a look at some of what we have achieved so far:
- 31 Green School scholarships to Indonesian students empowering them to be the change they want to see in their own country and beyond.
- Engaged 328 students from local Balinese partner schools in Language and Sustainability Learning.
- Established a waste management and recycling facility on a mission towards zero waste. Over 1 ton of trash each month is sorted, re-used or recycled – saving it from ending in the ocean and landfills.
- Waste management solutions rolled-out to six local schools in Bali, reaching over 4,000 students.
- Reduced 3.5 tons of CO2 emissions per month through the student-led BioBus transport service.
- Student activists represented the voice of youth at Climate Change Conferences (COP21, Paris and COP22 Morocco) and the Conference of Youth (COY11).
- Raised awareness of the waste crisis across Indonesia through a performing arts production, ‘Noble Material’, led by Indonesian students, for Indonesian students.
Let’s do even more, together! Every single donation will be used to support local children and waste-related educational and learning activities. We happily share all our creative sustainable solutions with the 100,000+ people who connect with Green School each year. With your donation we will:
- Build a Community and Waste Recycling Education Centre (Innovation Hub) – over 700 children will be able to incubate, investigate, implement and share even better waste management solutions. $100,000 of campaign money will allow us to build this and fling the doors open to students and their ideas.
- Expand waste management solutions – let’s turn even more trash into desirable treasures by expanding the current reuse-recycle program. Turning plastic waste into usable products and art, up-cycling fashion design using repurposed/used clothing, maker-space equipment to repair household items, plus more, can all happen with $50,000 of campaign money to kit-out the innovation lab with the right equipment.
- Activate young people through the arts: we know that performing arts is a powerful platform to educate and inspire youth movements to tackle real world problems. We can scale-up performances, such as ‘Noble Material’, take them on the road even more, promote activism and create kits for other schools to use with $50,000 of campaign money.
- Activate more local change makers within Indonesia: let’s give even more opportunities for Balinese children to access an international standard of education and be the change they want to see in their island, their country and the world. Indonesia faces some of the world’s biggest environmental problems and $300,000 of campaign money will fully fund the current 31 full-time Green School scholars enrolled and allow us to welcome 3 more scholarship students into the School.
- Thank You Prizes
- The top individual donor of the campaign will be able to leave their legacy on the Community Center by having it named after them. Your legacy in beautiful bamboo.
Some very special thank-you prizes are on offer for donors, so please take a look and take action. Click below to get more information and inspiration, to donate and to spread the word by sharing our campaign and video. The Change Maker Challenge closes very soon, so please act now as the finish line is fast approaching on May 18, at 1:59pm ET.
Article adapted from Green School’s Post Here.